Starter Prayer: God of effortless rising: Give us boundless energy to break the yoke of oppression, again and again. Holy Spirit, move in us, “pushing back, spinning out and rising.”
Focus Phrase: Salvation is magical.
Today’s scripture passage is as good as Bible poetry gets. And the artist, Hannah Garrity presents a glorious commentary on her mixed media piece, “Dawn” as inspired by Isaiah’s report of God’s words.
Here’s a snippet from Isaiah: Break the yoke of oppression… Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly.
And a quote from Hannah: Fighting oppression in real life is a constant exercise in finding the magic in a moment.
Be rewarded in your practice,
- Read pp. 5-6 in the devotional, Again & Again. The link is in every Journey email. If you’re not getting those, register here.
- Read Isaiah 58:1-12.
- Questions for journaling and spiritual conversation:
- What oppressions are you fighting in your life or the life of the community?
- What magical moments of rising have you seen?
- How does Isaiah’s prediction of God’s power in the struggle make you feel?
- How can you keep the Focus Word or Starter Prayer with you today?
- For daily texts with the Focus Word, Starter Prayer and link to these daily posts, text the word “lent” to 970-500-0970.
- Join Ryan on Facebook Live, every weekday morning at 10am for spiritual conversation on these Lent themes.
- Looking for the link to the digital devotional or your copy of the print version? Register here.
- Join the Orange Dots of Hope Facebook Group for spiritual conversations.
This is part of Again & Again: Journey of Lent 2021 with Crossroads Church. The theme, devotional booklet, poetry and art is the work of the creative community of theologians and artists at A Sanctified Art. Crossroads is grateful for this resource!