Starter Prayer: Christ Who Speaks Truth, May we listen to your Wisdom with better ears. Give us the courage to set aside the worn out arguments, excuses and flimsy self-protections. Show us something new– something too wonderful to dismiss.
Focus Phrase: Listen To Jesus
As we step into the second full week of Lent, I am haunted by the theme, Again & Again, We are Called to Listen. As we walk through this week of reading, reflecting, praying and listening, I imagine you will hear some important messages in new ways.
I pray for the renewing of our minds. I pray that your changed-mind will serve as proof of God’s work and goodness, not only in your life, but in our world. (Rom. 12:1-2)
Be encouraged in your practice,
- Read Mark 8:31-9:8.
- Read Rev. T. Denise Anderson’s commentary on p. 14 of Again & Again. The link is in every Journey email. If you’re not getting those, register here.
- Watch/listen as John Smith retells “Truth that Ricochets,” poetry by Rev. Sarah Are. The poem is also printed on p. 13 of Again & Again.
- Questions for journaling and spiritual conversation:
- How is Christ’s Truth surprising you in Rev. Anderson’s commentary or Rev. Are’s story?
- What compassion, experience or agreement would you like to add to the conversation?
- What argument or resistance rises in you?
- Prayer Practice this Week: To get started, watch this video about the new prayer wall installed at the Taft Ave. Facility. Each day, write a short prayer coming out of your practice. Then choose one word or short phrase to represent your prayer. Sometime this week, weave one or more of your words/phrases to the prayer wall in the Atrium; or text your prayer to 970-500-0970, and the prayer team will weave it into the wall for you.
- For daily texts with the Focus Word, Starter Prayer and link to these daily posts, text the word “lent” to 970-500-0970.
- Join Ryan on Facebook Live, every weekday morning at 10am for spiritual conversation on these Lent themes.
- Looking for the link to the digital devotional or your copy of the print version? Register here.
- Join the Orange Dots of Hope Facebook Group for spiritual conversations.
This is part of Again & Again: Journey of Lent 2021 with Crossroads Church. The theme, devotional booklet, poetry and art is the work of the creative community of theologians and artists at A Sanctified Art. Crossroads is grateful for this resource!