Starter Prayer: Gracious God, rescue us from the dangers on the wrong roads of life. Give us the faith to walk the path of righteous, for your sake and ours. And by all means! Save us from the habit of hustling for our worth. Amen
Focus Word: Grace
Today we read one of the most important passages of the New Testament, Ephesians 2:1-10.
Paul begins by describing the warning signs of being lost on the wrong road of life. I try not to be put off by the threatening language in the passage; because when I really think about it, I realize Paul is 100% right: The dangers we face on the road are real: broken relationships, addictions, attachments to money, media, work, our looks and success are scary. Life is hard, it’s dangerous and it’s easy to make a real mess of things.
Like you and me, Paul has made huge mistakes, and he is raising the alarm. The answer to the problem of wrong-headed living is found in the life that Jesus modeled as well as the power that Christ gives. Turn-arounds are never easy, but each turn is good and possible. It is the grace of God, not our hustling for God’s favor, that turns us around and never stops saving us from ourselves and the dangers of living.
[End of lesson on how to take the language of Ephesians 2:1-10.]
Now! Hannah Garrity’s comments and art piece in the devotional are inspiring! I hope you will read the entire passage and her reflection. Tomorrow we’ll do a bit more with the artwork and the wonderful idea of the “ripple effect.”
Be encouraged in your practice.
- Read and reflect on p. 29-30 of Again & Again. The link is in every Journey email. If you’re not getting those, register here.
- Read Ephesians 2:1-10.
- Questions for journaling and spiritual conversation:
- What does “the grace of God” mean to you?
- In what ways are you lost, either on a wrong road or in trying to earn your way into a better spot?
- Imagine a problem that you are trying to work out. How could you lean into God’s grace and power and work with God instead of hustling so hard?
- Make your plans to participate in the Good Friday Experience at Crossroads, in-person, online or on demand. We will reflect upon the hidden wisdom and true power of Christ’s Love. For the in-person option, a reservation is necessary.
- As the week unfolds, what word or phrase captures your attention? Weave your word into the prayer wall at the Taft Avenue facility; or text your word to 970-500-0970, and the prayer team will weave it into the wall for you.
- For daily texts with the Focus Word, Starter Prayer and link to these daily posts, text the word “lent” to 970-500-0970.
- Join Ryan on Facebook Live, every weekday morning at 10am for spiritual conversation on these Lent themes.
- Looking for the link to the digital devotional or your copy of the print version? Register here.
- Join the Orange Dots of Hope Facebook Group for spiritual conversations.
This is part of Again & Again: Journey of Lent 2021 with Crossroads Church. The theme, devotional booklet, poetry and art is the work of the creative community of theologians and artists at A Sanctified Art. Crossroads is grateful for this resource!