“And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be open to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” Luke 11:9-10
Have you ever felt like you’re being pulled in opposite directions? Loaded question I know, I’m sure this is a common scenario. For me, I sometimes feel the tug of one person or group pulling me in one direction and at the same time another pulling me in the opposite direction. Who’s right, who’s wrong, who will I listen to, which road do I follow? Tough questions, really, for it comes down to who I trust in my life. Here are some qualities and characteristics you may want to consider in seeking counsel:
- Are they safe people? Can they keep what I say in confidence, maintain healthy boundaries, are they honest and compassionate?
- Are they actively pursuing God?
- Are they humble in spirit?
- Are they people of integrity?
- Are they actively engaged in their own recovery?
- Do they have the experience and knowledge to be of help?
- Do they have enough information about me to give me wise counsel; do they know my struggle, where I’ve come from and where I’m trying to go?
- Do they see the Christian life as a journey?
- Are they discerning or judgmental?
- Do they have my best interests at heart?
- Do they allow me to walk my journey and learn in the process?
- Are they transparent, warts and all?
Of course, all the wise counsel in the world doesn’t come close to God’s counsel. When I’m struggling, not sure which direction to go or who to listen to, there is one who knows all and who I ultimately need to take my questions to—Jesus. He certainly meets the qualities I listed above and of course far exceeds them. For He alone knows my heart, knows everything about me in more detail than I or anyone could ever know.
So when the struggle is on and you’re not sure which way to turn; turn to Jesus and turn to the best recovery book ever written—The Bible. He will give you the direction you need and put the right people in your life to help you on your journey.
Dana Cramer // Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads
Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads Church Calendar
June 18-24, 2018
Friday, June 22: Lesson Night
- 6pm: Our Hospitality Team is preparing a wonderful dinner for you. Please join us for food and fellowship.
- 7pm: Join us for an hour of worship and a recovery message: “Progress, Not Perfection.”
- 8pm: Open Share Groups.
- 9pm: Solid Rock Café.