Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you; leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. Matthew 5:23-24
Ever have those times when you get caught in relational negativity? Ok, I know some may be saying duh-of course, or some may say, “no not me”. The truth is that we all go down this path one way or another. I really don’t like it when I go there, and I thank God I don’t go there as much as I once did. But when I do it can be for a variety of reasons. Most often it’s because I don’t have a full understanding of the issues, I feel threatened, I’m angry, or I deem it not important enough to do any work on the relationship. If I stay focused on the problem rather than the solution, the more negative I become.
So what’s a person to do?
- Pray for the willingness to correct negative thinking.
- Seek clarity. Use the tools given in CR to look fully at an issue; Inventory: try to understand everyone’s part, and most importantly my own. Seek wise counsel with others for input to gain a better understanding.
- Identify the character defects in play; selfishness, pride, fear, resentments, unwillingness to seek the truth, etc. Give them to God!
- Seek resolution; amends and forgiveness.
- Keep the big picture in sight: It’s not about me, it’s about us. “Principles before Personalities.” In all we do, we should be God honoring.
Question of The Week: Do you have any relationship or situation that needs a makeover from negative thinking (stinking thinking)?
Prayer: Dear Lord God, thank you for this day, this opportunity to build our relationship with you. Through your grace, please give us the willingness and motivation to be rid of the negatives that are a hindrance in our life and in our relationship with you and others. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.
Dana Cramer // Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads
Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads Church Calendar
June 11-17, 2018
Friday, June 15: Testimony Night
- 6pm: Our Hospitality Team is preparing a wonderful dinner for you. Please join us for food and fellowship.
- 7pm: Join us for an hour of worship and a recovery message on “Grace”.
- 8pm: Open Share Groups.
- 9pm: Solid Rock Café.