“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:21
When you think about treasure what comes to mind? A large bank account, a big house, a new car or maybe just keeping pace with the social class you’ve always wanted to belong to.
We all accumulate stuff, but sometimes our stuff can be so sick you couldn’t possibly think of it as treasure, but then again: Imagine an alcoholic walking into a brewery; jackpot. An addict finding a pile of stash they had forgotten about; jackpot. A co-dependent with a new person to fix; jackpot. A control maniac who finds someone to abuse; jackpot. A rageaholic who just found their next victim; jackpot. In our addictive and obsessive-compulsive behaviors we conjure up sick treasures that are nothing more than nightmares. It’s the ultimate me game, it’s all about me at someone else’s expense.
I, like you, can’t take all of “me” out of the equation, but we can bring a healthier me to the table. Recovery is relying on God to help us change our priorities; from being takers to givers. In CR we learn to give, serve and love one another. We also learn how to give in healthy ways, not in a co-dependent way; give and serve, but don’t lose yourself in the process. Don’t let someone’s problems overtake you; help them to find healthy solutions to solve their problems. If you find yourself working harder on someone’s recovery than they are, you may have a problem; learning to set healthy boundaries may be the solution.
“So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!” 1 Corinthians 10:12
People give for many reasons. As we grow in Christ we don’t give out of pressure, guilt, a sense of duty or in a boastful way. No, we start to give generously and cheerfully, not because we have to, but because we love to. It is a transformational process that comes from the love of Jesus. When we tap into God’s power anything is possible and the ultimate treasure we find is overflowing love.
Love God, love people, Jesus first!
Dana Cramer // Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads
Celebrate Recovery at Crossroads Church Calendar
April 9-15, 2018
Friday, April 13: Testimony Night
- 6pm: Our Hospitality Team is preparing a wonderful dinner for you. Please join us for dinner and fellowship.
- 7pm: Join us for an hour of worship and a testimony from Shawna.
- 8pm: Open Share Groups.
- 9pm: Sold Rock Café.
- A new Men’s Chemical Addiction 12-Step Group has started and meets every Monday from 6:30-8pm in the Crossroads Loveland in Room 138. For more details, contact [email protected].
- A new Men’s Mixed Issue 12-Step Group has started and meets every Monday from 6:30-8pm in the Crossroads Loveland Conference Room. For more details, contact [email protected].
- April 27, 2018: CR 14 Year Anniversary Celebration!